Tuesday, June 26, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things-- teething edition

Teething is the devil.  Any mom can attest to this fact.  Currently Kai has four teeth entirely in and just today I can see the fifth about to break the gums.  He is drooling far more on this particular one than any other.  And waking up wanting to nurse in the middle of the night all over again.  When will my child sleep through the night consistently?

Some invaluable things I have found for teething are: Hyland's Homeopathic Teething Tablets.  These little tablets are homeopathic little pills that dissolve in baby's mouth and help to reduce pain and inflammation.  They do seem to help and I like giving them so I don't have to give the other wonder drug Children's Advil as much.  (I hate giving Kai any more drugs than I need to, but he gets miserable at night when teething and wakes up many times a night sobbing.)

But something I have found that is natural and super cute is an Genuine Inspired by Finn Baltic Amber Baby Teething Necklace.  When worn on the skin, the heat of your body causes the necklace beads to release succinic acid which is absorbed through the skin and acts as an anti-inflammatory and a natural analgesic.  The lighter colored beads have higher amounts of succinic acid, as do the unpolished stones.  I have Destructo wear it around his neck as a necklace during the day and then at night I wrap it around his ankle under his PJ's (just because I was nervous about a necklace overnight.)  At first I wasn't sure that this really worked because it didn't seem to make a difference in his mood and fussiness, but that was because I didn't have him wearing it 24/7.  Once I gave it another go out of desparation and left it on all the time, his mood and teething crankiness got much better.  So I am a convert to amber necklaces magical powers.

If you were wondering what teethers proved to be a hit in our household, here is that answer. Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether is all natural rubber with food grade dyes so totally safe for baby to chew on.  Kai really like Sophie when he was very small and not able to really hold onto other teethers well.  He would chew on her ears, horns, and really wedge her feet on his gums.  



 is another super popular teether with Destructo.  Some other teethers of note in our house are The World of Eric Carle: The Very Hungry Caterpillar Teether, Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Rattle And Teethe, Nuby Icybite Hard/Soft Teeting Keys, and a green sprouts Ring Cool Soothing Teether.

When those teeth are really bothering him, Destructo lives up to his name and attempts to carve a hole in his crib.  The Convertible Crib Rail Cover and  Side Crib Rail Cover are really coming in quite handy.  We have a nice convertible crib that converts into a full size bed and Kai was destroying it.  So I got a set of these and he still chews, but it doesn't leave marks.  You can also attach teethers right to the rail protector to give the baby some toys to chew on while in the crib.  These are super easy to attach with Velcro and also have the added benefit of giving a little padding for when he decides to fall into the rail and bump his head.

Finally, once you start getting teeth you have to brush those chompers.  Kai hated this for the longest time until I hit upon this Colgate My First - Infant & Toddler Mild Fruit Toothpaste.  He likes the way it tastes and will easily let me brush his teeth now.  For any baby toothpaste you buy, make sure it is fluoride free until age 4 (according to my dentist at least.)

Teething is a miserable time for both mommy and baby.  There is nothing worse than your child up in the middle of the night shrieking and you aren't able to do anything about it.  The other tricks I have found that Kai likes are letting him eat frozen fruit or ice cubes (especially blueberries and cherries), sucking on a cold wash cloth, massaging his gums (although he only tolerates this sporadically), and ice cold water.

Linked up at:
Thursday Favorite Things


Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links.  They don't cost you anything, but help support this blog.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year wishes and thank you for sharing at the hop. I hope you will stop by again soon. I posted the new giveaway! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They really do make my day. I make every effort to reply to each and every comment.