Monday, January 28, 2013

I ran my first 5K

I ran my first 5Kon Saturday.  In case you don't remember, doing the couch to 5K program was one of my New Year's resolutions this year.  I started the program in October and am finally up to the 30 minutes of running which equals close to a 5K.  So Saturday was my first race. I choose this race because the proceeds benefit the local zoo and I love the zoo!

My goal for the race was to run the majority of it and only take breathers walking if I had to.  Thankfully my sister was with me and offered to push Destructo because the running path was narrow in spots and dirt, gravel, zoo bamboo paths.  I never could have ran even the majority of it if I had to push the stroller and Destructo.

I successfully completed the race running the entire thing except for the loose gravel because my feet kept slipping around and I was afraid I would twist my ankle and then I walked by the wallabies because they were adorably cute and fighting and jumping.  My time for the race was 32:55.4 or 10.37 per mile.  If I had known my time was that good, I definitely wouldn't have stopped to take off my jacket and tie it around my waist.  I probably could have been closer to 10 per mile.  But overall I am super proud of myself and excited to run another one and try to better my time!

Here are some pics from the run:
The lovely Dayna

Destructo in his neon yellow sweater I bought just for the race

Me before the race

After the race.  Check out the crazy hair and red face!
My sister made me wear fancy fun race day socks
Linked up at:
Women Helping Women

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first 5K! They are so much fun even though it's been ages since I did one. Nice time for a first timer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It ended up being 35 out of 75 in my age group so I was excited about that.

      Delete
  2. my friend just talked me into running a 1/2 marathon in April...last time I ran longer than a mile, I was in College (10 yr ago). So yesterday I went out and ran 3 miles :) ...I am now a little sore :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They really do make my day. I make every effort to reply to each and every comment.