Sunday, July 12, 2015

What I would put in a Gift Package for a New Breastfeeding Mom

I used to post about breastfeeding and tips and tricks to make it a success all the time.  But then Destructo weaned and I started writing about other topics more.  Well it hit me that I never did a post like this.  I just had a childhood friend have a new sweet baby boy and I was thinking about ordering her a book that was a lifesaver to me.  Then this blog post idea popped into my head and I ran with it.

The book I had mentioned would be the first thing I would buy.  The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding became by breastfeeding bible.  It walks you through the different ages and stages and has an entire section devoted to all the problems that could arise on your breastfeeding journey.  It also has tables you can rip out and post on your fridge about safe handling of breast milk which was awesome.  It truly is a must read for any new mom.

I would include Booby Tubes.  These were wonderful for sore boobs when I was just starting out with my nursling but also for times when I would get a clogged duct.  I also had vasospasms so I used them for heat.  But you could also put them in the freezer and use them for cold packs if that made you feel better than heat.  Earth Mama Angel Baby is a really amazing company and I use a ton of their products.  In fact, I haven't found one yet that I don't like.

Another product that EMAB makes is Earth Mama Angel Baby Non GMO Natural Nipple Butter.  It is not made from any genetically modified organisms and is natural and better than lanolin for you and baby.  It works amazingly.  I wish I had known about this with Destructo when I really had sore boobs and nipples as he never had a great latch.  Owl was a much better nurser and I only had to use it the first few weeks.  I have also heard you can use it as a lip balm.  Yay for dual purposes.

I would include some sort of boobie pads.  If you wanted to spend more, you could get bamboobies.  These are reusable/washable breast pads and they work really well.  They are super soft and absorb a lot especially the over night ones.  For a disposable/cheaper option, I always preferred Lansinoh Disposable Nursing Pads.  Other brands made me itchy for whatever reason.  These were also smooth so you didn't get weird lumps under your shirt.

One thing that might seem out of place in this gift basket would be aden by aden + anais Swaddles.  Not to swaddle the baby but to use as a nursing cover.  These were amazing as a nursing cover.  I would tie a knot it two corners and put it around my neck.  It was super light weight, not hot, breathable, easy to fold small enough to fit easily in a diaper bag, and just amazing.

Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags would be in the basket.  I had very few leaks with this brand.  They also were easy to pour out into bottles.   I would include bottles of water because nursing makes you thirstier than if you were walking through a desert.  I would include snacks such as granola bars, trail mix packs, or nuts.  You are super hungry at first when you are nursing.  The last idea I have is something to make the new mom feel pretty.  Baby blues are real and I felt so much like nothing but a milk cow those first few dark, sleep deprived, exhausting days.  This would help me to feel less cow like and more woman like,
Source

So there you have it.  My ideas for a breastfeeding new mom gift basket.  What ideas would you guys include?