Sunday, July 29, 2012

Project of the weekend-- Sensory Bottles

When I worked at the daycare, the kids used to love when we would make them sensory bottles.  There are all different types you can make depending on age and skill level.  A few ideas I plan on using as Kai gets older are a hide and seek bottle where you put certain objects and they have to find them, a letters one where you put the foam letters in oil and they can shake the bottle and identify certain letters, a different sounds bottle set where you put rice, beans, etc in the bottles and put them in a sock and they have to guess what it is by the sound it makes, and nails in a bottle with a bit of water to watch rust form.  As he gets older, I will make more bottles and update you guys.

Right now he is to young for those ideas, but I did make him a waves bottle.  You put half water with food coloring and I put glitter just to make it pretty and half corn or vegetable oil.  When you shake it, it looks like waves.
He has a color mixing bottle.  I put a small amount of shaving cream in the bottom of the bottle with water to fill it and a few drops of food coloring.  You can shake it and watch it turn white and swirl around and then the shaving cream slowly rises to the top.
I made a marbles in water bottle.  This one is mostly just for him to shake and make noise with and watch the marbles roll from one end of the bottle to the other.  I had planned to just do marbles in a bottle, but my gosh it was loud.  The water dulls the noise a little bit.
Finally, I made a bubble bottle.  I put a cup of water in it with a squirt of dish soap and a few drops of food coloring.  He can shake it up and watch the bubbles form and then go away as it settles.
Coming up later this week when I have a chance to go to a crafts store are a bottle with the craft bells in it so he can shake it and make noise and a rain fall bottle.  You put a bunch of toothpicks in a bottle with dry rice and the rice trickles down through the toothpicks and sounds like rain.  I will update this post with those pics once I get them made.  I might also make a mud and water bottle to let him watch the sediment settle to the bottom of the bottle and the water go to the top. 

I also plan on doing a beach theme bottle in October when we go to Destin.  I am going to put sand and seashells in it and let him roll it around and discover the seashells.  Plus it will be a handy souvenir from our trip.  Come fall I plan on a fall leaves bottle as well.

A few final tips:  I would recommend Gatorade bottles.  We used coke bottles and water bottles as well at the daycare and I had more leaks with them if the kids dropped them too often.  I think the Gatorade bottles are just thicker plastic.

I also glued the tops on with Elmers school glue.  I plan to hot glue them at some point when I borrow my mom's hot glue gun.  All we did at the daycare was school glue with no problem.  LOL But since it is my living room, I want to be extra safe.

Let me know what great ideas for sensory bottles you guys come up with.

 Linked up at:
Creative Mondays
Monday Mom Musings
Mop It Up Monday

21 comments:

  1. New follower - have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on the hop. I love all your sensory bottles. I just know my daughter would love them, okay I need to save more bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought an 8 pack of Gatorade the other day when it was on sale for this very reason. Not that I mind drinking Gatorade because I do like it, but we didn't really need it except for the sensory bottles. :) I am glad I read this post because it reminded me to get toothpicks so I can finish making his bottles.

      Delete
  3. What a neat idea! I really like the one with marbles in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is Destructo's favorite too. He like putting it on its side and rolling the marbles around in it. Check back later/tomorrow and I am going to update with the rainfall one I make.

      Delete
  4. Love this idea!! I so need to try this =D
    I just found your blog from the blog hop! Love it!!
    -Jen
    http://www.littlemissalizzi.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy. I will say that the Elmers glue didn't work so well. I noticed that if I twisted really hard that I could get the tops off. I am going to hot glue the tops on as soon as I get over to my mom's house next. Thanks for checking out the blog. I am going to check yours out right now.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I enjoyed the post you linked in to Claire Justine. I have linked in a post about a chilli dish I made. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yumm chili sounds awesome. My husband is against chili in the summer for some reason. I will have to go over there and check it out. He is out of town this week so we might just have us some chili.

      Delete
  6. Hey, great ideas!! Can you do a bottle with sand or something of that texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I plan on a sand bottle when we go to Destin in October. Free sand and shells LOL. I think I am going to do a non liquid bottle too. Maybe rice or dried beans. Or just dirt with small pebbles. Oh the possibilities.

      Delete
  7. The marbles in the bottle is a great idea! Thanks so much for linking up :) I can't wait to see what you decide to share next week.
    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello im a new follower, not sure how this all works kina new to all this my email is in2amish@yahoo.comto explain how this all works (carry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I will try to answer them! I am pretty new to the blog world as well.

      Delete
  9. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so great.. My little guy's just really getting into the sensory play. I'll have to make him up some fun bottles. How easy is something like this for a great little toy?!

    Thanks so much for linking this up to our Weekend Wonders party! We hope to see you back again on Thursday :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super easy and Kai plays with these every day. Next up sometime this week is to make playdough for him.

      Delete
  11. I love sensory bottles thanks so much for sharing on the we made that linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are so much fun. I really need to finish Destructo's. I still want to make a static electricity butterfly bottle and one with jingle bells.

      Delete
  12. These are fun ideas. We've made a beach in a bottle with sand, water, shells and a couple colored rocks to look for as you turn and shake it. We also made a hide and seek zoo bottle. I found some mini zoo animal erasers from oriental trading. We put two of each animal in a bottle with birdseed and a few, small, green, silk leaves. I only used bird seed because it was on sale cheaper than rice, but the different colors makes it a little more challenging to find the animals.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They really do make my day. I make every effort to reply to each and every comment.