Thursday, August 30, 2012

Picky Toddler Eating

Destructo has always been a great eater.  We would take him out to restaurants when he was just 12 months old and have numerous people stop by to ask us how old he was and compliment us on how well he was eating.  I always assumed that it was because we skipped right over purees and did baby led weaning.  (See my post here to learn more about this concept.)

But now in the last two months, my son has went from champion of eating to subsisting on bananas, bread, and snacks. I knew toddlers could become quite picky eaters.  I also know that Destructo is currently getting molars in.  But I am not quite sure what to do about it.  I have tried the just try one bite approach hoping that he would try it and be like hmmm this sure is delicious.  Let me gobble it all down.  But he is kind of too young for that approach (and way too stubborn) and is just now understanding what take one bite means.

I have tried letting him have "cookies" if he eats halfway decent.  And by cookies, I mean whole wheat graham crackers of course.  But this just leads to more temper tantrums on the days he doesn't eat well and therefore doesn't get cookies.

We have tried letting him out of his chair and making him go in the living room since he wasn't eating.  This just results in tantrums.  As does the opposite of this approach when we keep him in the chair until the entire family is done eating.  I have tried telling him it was all my food and not to touch it (oh yeah mothering at it's best right there.)  This worked  really well twice and never again since I am pretty sure Destructo is smart enough to know as his mother, I can't actually starve him.

I am not too worried nutrient wise.  He is still nursing 2-3 times a day and nearly always eats a really good breakfast.  I have just started making sure I give him as much as he wants in the morning.  But I would like him to eat more balanced meals.  In a given day, he will eat eggs and toast and fruit in the morning and maybe fruit for the rest of the meals.  Carrots and sweet potatoes are typically (but not always) winners as well.  Protein in his diet is unheard of unless it is of the egg or peanut persuasion.

Just for the record, Destructo is truly a weirdo.  What child doesn't like ketchup?  He actually cries when you show him the bottle or ask him if he wants ketchup.  Lord help us if it actually touches his lips.  This results in an amazingly dramatic tantrum.  He also won't eat ranch dressing, cheese cubes, or mac n cheese (or really any pasta with the exception of an occasional bite of spaghetti with meat sauce.  He is not a normal child.  :)

A face I see all too often at meal time now a days


So what do you guys have to say?  Any sure fire tips, tactics, hints for me? 

Here are some links I found that give creative ideas that I am going to be trying in the near future.  I will keep you guys updated if I have any luck with any of them.

Fun creative kids meals and snack  This lady arranges the food into fun designs or shapes.  I love the solar system arrangement.
Dr. Sears Feeding the Picky Eater article

Wholesome Toddler Food  This link has great information about how many calories your toddler should be eating per day and info about feeding a balanced diet

Muffin Tin Meals This blog has pictures of something that the Dr. Sears article talks about.  Cutting up bite sized healthy foods and putting them in muffin trays.  I am for sure trying this this weekend.  Destructo loves playing with my pots and pans and sorting things.  I bet this will entertain him, but also encourage him to eat.


23 comments:

  1. With my first, who went through this at about the same age, I snuck in protein in the form of thin shaved deli meat. I would lay it on a piece of bread, cover it with some cheese, and stick it under the broiler until the cheese was melty (and the meat invisible). I cut it up into squares, and he got protein while he thought he was eating half a grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to look around for some kind of lunch meat that isn't as full of preservatives as what my hubby eats. I know Boar's Head has some, I just haven't found them yet. Hmm maybe a trip to Whole Foods needs to be in my future. Kai will at least half the time eat grilled cheese. I also wonder if using cookie cutters to make fun shapes would help. Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
  2. Dinosaur has gone through some weird stages. He would eat everything and then nothing BUT chicken nuggets. I catered to him and now I am just to the point of putting his dinner out and not making a fuss of it. He will eat some of his dinner and then leave it and come back for the rest later. It doesn't always work, but it mostly does. For lunch and breakfast I will make cute plates. I like that creative site, I am going to be using that for some lunch ideas. I used easylunchboxes.com for our containers and they give great ideas on lunches too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have tried to not get into the habit of catering to him, but I think I will have to do that a bit more since he has just gotten worse. But I am really hoping in doing a muffin tray meal and just leaving it down for him to munch on for awhile that will help.

      Delete
  3. Nolin is in that stage too. And has been for awhile :/ He rarely eats dinner anymore so I try to load up breakfast & lunch. He likes to have options & he like finger foods that he can walk around with. I think he prefers to snack & walking around with finger food makes him feel like Its a snack lol. I've started making egg "muffins" (grain-free of course), cheesy quinoa bites (packed full of protein galore) & other snack-appearance type foods. And we don't have a structured snack time anymore. He has to ask for a snack & most of the time he's too busy playing to remember. Therefore, he's ready to eat a meal by the time it rolls around (this was his pediatrician's suggestion since he seems to be a snacker & my big plan of 5-6 small meals a day was backfiring in my face lol!) Let us know if you find any secret tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep you updated. I am going to start researching recipes for things that are bread/carb like but still full of protein.

      Delete
  4. Hi Melissa!

    Thank you so much for coming by today, oh trying to get them to eat a balanced diet. We just keep introducing and ultimately they end up eating fairly healthy :)

    Hugs, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that is pretty much what I have been doing thus far. If we are eating it for dinner, it is on his plate in the hopes he will try it. Then I add fruit so I know he will at least eat something and a cup of yogurt before bed so even if he eats nothing, at least he has something in his belly before bed.

      Delete
  5. I went with the baby led weaning approach with my son too (trying to decide if I want to do it again with my daughter now).
    He goes back and forth between being a great eater and then a picky eater. I don't worry too much about it. I always offer a variety of foods and let him eat whatever he chooses. He will also eat fruit too.
    Sometimes I bribe him with fruit to get him to eat other stuff. I feel pretty silly telling him "take a bite of chicken nugget and then I'll give you a blueberry", but he needs some protein.
    I don't like to make a big deal out of food though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel silly with half the things I say and do while trying to get Destructo to eat. But hey I guess a mother's job is to be silly at times. Protein is our biggest problem. He will always eat grains/carbs and fruit, at least half the time eat veggies. But will NOT eat any protein. I hope he gets over this soon. I don't like worrying about him withering away. :)

      Delete
  6. maybe he thought the ketchup was really blood and you were trying to convert him to vampirism!! :P

    No good mommy tips to give you...you already read my post today!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure this is it. I mean he starts crying and backing away if you so much as show him the bottle. Lord help him if he gets some in his mouth.

      Delete
  7. My children aren't great at ketchup either... maybe they make it differently than when I was a kid.

    I try to make the food fun, and they learn a lot from how we approach food, I think they call that "Modeling behavior" so the theory is if you put it in front of everyone and they all eat enough times the children get the idea. It's the sloooow approach. I try to add fun things to the food... like easter grass. (lol, maybe not THAT fun)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried making it more fun by letting him eat it out of the silicone muffin cups, from my Veggie Tales plate that I have had from college, etc. I am considering making him meat loaf cupcakes since I am planning on meat loaf this week. We shall see.

      We do currently sit down with him at the table and eat the same food he did. I just want my good eater back. He was a great eater from the time we started solid table foods at 6 months until around 13ish months.

      Delete
  8. My kids have gone in and out of picky eating phases more than I can count. Newest follower from new friends hop - http://practialliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am checking out your blog now. Thanks for following me!

      Delete
  9. My daughter became a picky eater as a toddler too. I just keep offering foods and not making a big deal out of it. She was still nursing so I wasn't too worried. She was healthy and happy, her iron level was fine, etc. She branched out more as she got older, I just make sure no unhealthy food is in the house. She has to eat eventually and if she only has good stuff surrounding her, she'll eventually eat it! The power struggles are always a bad idea, at least with her, because she is very stubborn. Sometimes I have to offer her dinner to her 5 times and tell her 20 times that we do not have any French Fries, but she eventually eats lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont have any tips but i also have a picky toddler! He refuses to try anything new and only eats the same things everyday. I am very happy i found your blog over at the Tell me Tuesday Hop and am now following you. It's nice to know I am now the only one struggling with this!

    www.battlingthehomefront.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice to have company in the insanity known as motherhood?

      Delete
  11. Gosh, I sure hope my awesome eater doesn't go through this stage. Wish I had helpful suggestions...or wait does that mean I've experienced this behavior? In that case, I guess I'm glad I don't have tips, but sure hope you find a solution and SHARE it right away ;) Thanks for linking up with me, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old is your kiddo again? Kai hit this stage around 13ish months. I am going to be doing another post about things that I have tried (and mostly failed) to attempt to get him eating more in a week or so. Meatloaf cupcakes was the experiment last night and it failed so miserably. He wouldn't even touch them. Like literally put his finger on it. :(

      Delete
  12. Thank you for linking over to my blog in this post! Let me know if you have any success with the creative snack approach!!

    Amy @ Creative Kid Snacks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know what works and what doesn't in a few weeks. He is eating better overall right now so I haven't had to get as creative. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They really do make my day. I make every effort to reply to each and every comment.