Monday, October 22, 2012

A Look into the Toddler Mind

Two nights ago, Destructo woke up at 4:30 AM.  As I have  said  whined before, Destructo is a terrible sleeper so this is no big surprise.  I figured he just would nurse and go back to sleep.  He always wakes early because he is so used to getting up with us when we go to work.  The boy has bat hearing I tell ya.  Anyhow, instead of snuggling with me in the rocking chair and nursing he ran screaming like a banshee out of the room.
This is Kai's hearing

I hear banging in the hall so I wearily get up to see what he is destroying now.  He is beating his head into the wall.  I let this go on for a minute thinking surely he will stop, but when I see his head turning red, I grab his arm and attempt to bring him back into his room.  This causes him to scream even harder, wrench his arm out of my grasp, and go running into the office.

I follow and see him laying on the floor grabbing tools out of Mr. Destructo's tool bag and slinging them around the room.  I quickly duck through flying screwdrivers and wrenches and pick him up.  He fights me until I finally set him down and hold his hand and start leading him to his room.  He can't resist getting a final few hits on the turtle tank for good measure.

Back in his room I offer to nurse him again, he climbs in my lap and I am thrilled.  Tantrum over.  Or is it?  Nope, he slaps me in the face and tries to rip my boob off.  Then violently throws himself off my lap.  He runs screaming into the kitchen and body slams the back door knocking himself to the floor in the process.  I mean he was hitting the door with his shoulder like you see on those cops shows when they are trying to break down a door to get some holed up convicts.  He then runs screaming to the pantry door and does the same thing eventually crumpling to the floor in a ball of screaming rage.

At this point I wake up Mr. Destructo and tell him I am pretty sure Destructo is either possessed by evil spirits or he has lost his ever loving mind.  While doing this, Destructo comes running from the kitchen into the living room screaming non stop and climbs his music table and starts pounding on the fish tank with both fists as hard as he can.

Mr. Destructo steps in and restrains Kai while I shoot some Advil down his throat (since I am pretty sure a bit of this tantrum is molars related since they are driving him nuts.)  He spits the majority of it back on my hand and all over his face.  I forget about this fact a few minutes later.  Mr. Destructo finally calms him down enough, we go back in his room, I nurse him, and he goes back in the crib. I then discover that he has gotten my arms and chest all Advil sticky.  Awesome.

He woke up at 9 AM (or maybe I woke up then and he was just reading books in his crib the jury is still out on that one.)  He was in a great mood, hugging us, giving us kisses.  But after his nap, this same cycle repeated itself.

This morning rolls around with him waking me at 4:45 AM screeching.  I go into his room, find his diaper has leaked.  Joy.  He is soaked and I have to change sleep sack and PJ's.  I go to nurse him after I get him cleaned up and he throws himself in the floor and runs out of the room screaming.  I sit there for a minute pleading to the Lord to give me patience.  Then I get up and follow him thinking we are in for a repeat of yesterday.  Nope, here comes Destructo carrying the Boppy pillow from the living room with the biggest grin on his face.  Apparently he can no longer nurse without it.  Too bad I didn't know that the day before.  Eye roll.
Yet another tantrum over my sister stepping outside

So with that said, what do you guys do when your toddler is tantruming?  Especially when it can't be ignored because they are harming themselves or the house.

Linked up at:
Better Mom Mondays
Mama Moments Monday
Monday Mom Musings

14 comments:

  1. I have no tips for you right now, but just wanted to let you know that I can totally relate. My 19 month old has become a tantrum-ing terror! Hopefully someone else will have some advice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hugs to you. Maybe we can form a support group?

      Delete
  2. This is the first time that I realized that you have a Mr. Destructo too! I love it. The tantrum's are really hard...I try and ignore them but understand that this is not always possible. Sticking my two year old in water or giving him some sort of messy art usually does the trick! All the best - Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graham Crackers will cure what ails 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor mama! No tips, sorry. You have my sympathies!! I find myself asking for strength at least once a day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nolin use to have tantrums like this...To the point that he was evaluated for things like ADHD & autism spectrum disorders!! In the end it has turned out to be food intolerances. Especially food dyes. After eliminating those we've found he also reacts to juice (unless we juice organic fruits & veggies ourselves) & chocolate. I'm also pretty sure either gluten and/or dairy could be causing slighter reactions but eliminating those completely is a battle we haven't managed to win yet :( I completely feel your pain Momma...Been there, done that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. found you on the better mom link up :)


    oh the tantrum stage. the hardest part of motherhood thus far (for me anyway).

    I was having such trouble with it I actually compiled a list of ideas on how to handle tantrums from almost 20 other blogging mamas. Hopefully some of their advice can help you, I know it helped me a lot!
    here's a link to the post :)
    http://www.hopefulfuture.blogspot.com/2012/06/toddler-tantrum-tactics.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I will have to check out your link this afternoon when I get home. I need all the advice/help I can get. Thanks for reading and for linking that up for me.

      Delete
  7. Wow! That's an intense one. I'm through handing out parenting advice since every kid is so different, but I think you did the best you could!

    Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It doesn't always feel that way. But hey you just gotta keep trying new things.

      Delete
  8. let them cry it out in a safe spot so they don't hurt themselves and wear ear plugs to deafen the volume some. I always try not to let "them" see me sweat. I have found, if they think they are getting to me, it seems to escalate even more.

    So happy my children are grown and no more tantrums. But as a nanny I am currently dealing with a 2 year old and a 4 year old that knows better!

    This too shall pass.... Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I keep telling myself this phase will be over as quickly as the newborn sleepless nights or the million other phases he has went through thus far. I have been letting him cry the tantrum out when I can, but he gets very destructive quite quickly so it is hard to do. I found that giving him pillows and a horse punching bag yesterday really seemed to help him to get his frustration and anger out in a way that doesn't involve hurting himself or hitting me or the dog. We shall see if it keeps working.

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh, Melissa. I sure hope this hasn't repeated itself since that morning and that you've still got both breasts (and sanity) intact. Hoping some of the advice and links offered above help you out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They really do make my day. I make every effort to reply to each and every comment.