Friday, October 4, 2013

It was my Anniversary.... and I Forgot

How does that happen?  I didn't really forget.  I remembered the night before.  I remembered first thing that morning.  But Mr. Destructo had worked over night and I couldn't wake him up to tell him happy anniversary.  Well I could have.  But that would have been mean.  And you probably shouldn't be mean on your anniversary right?

Five years has flown by (and at times been the longest five years of my life haha.)  We are still together, still making it, still overall happy most of the time.  This seems huge to me when I am watching more and more people my age get divorced.  Mr. Destructo and I went into marriage with the mind set that there is no divorce so we better figure it out along the way.  And that is just what we have done and will continue doing.  Marriage is hard but the rewards are oh so great.
So young and in love

As I dwelled on all this, I happened to notice an older couple at church. You could tell they had been married a long time and even when just sitting were touching.  But what got me the most was when they went up to communion.  The lady was unsteady and walked with a cane.  She shuffled up to the front holding his arm.  He got communion first while never letting go of her arm and then shifted so she could get communion.  Then they shuffled back down the aisle.

You could tell that they had been married so long that they just leaned on each other when times got tough.  I hope that Mr. Destructo and I can be like that 30,40,50 years down the road.  We got married with the mind set that marriage is forever and there is no divorce.  I hope if times ever get rough that we can cling to our faith and our vows and find a way to make it work.  Each and every day I choose to be married to him just like I made that choice the day I married him.  I hope to see 10,20,30 plus years with him.

1 Corinthians 13:4–8a 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. (NIV)