Monday, April 6, 2015

Making a Hard Choice

Ugh.  I am in the process of making the choice to put my cat down.  She is 14 1/2 and not eating.  She has lost a lot of weight.  I took her into the vet and had some blood work done but nothing came back for sure.  The vet thinks she either has pancreatitis or irritable bowel syndrome or some sort of bowel cancer.  
My poor girl not feeling well

She just won't eat no matter what I try.  I have tried prescription cat food, dry food, canned cat food, milk, cheese, tuna, cat nip, chicken, eggs, chicken broth, cat treats, and pretty much anything I have eaten in the hopes of getting her to eat something.  Anything.  She just won't eat.  The most I have gotten since last Wednesday is her to lick one bite of something.

So why is this decision so hard you might ask?  Because the cat is still happy, affectionate, and acting fairly normal.  You know minus not eating.  I hate to put her down if there is any chance that she comes out of this.  But I also don't want her to suffer at all.  Why does being an adult and making stupid adult decisions have to be so darn hard?

Can someone make this decision for me? Dang being an adult.  For now I am going to sit here with my cat until I finally decide on something.  And then I will probably take the easier way out and make Mr. Destructo take her to the vet because I don't know that I can be there when the vet puts her to sleep.  I never in a million years thought I would come to realize that my horse dying the way she did was for the best but it was.  I never could have made the decision to put her to sleep because she was like my kid.  Her unexpected death sucked more than anything I have ever been through in my life thus far and not a day goes by that I don't miss her but at least she spared me the pain of having to decide what to do when her time had come.  

My cat has been a good cat that is for sure.  To me at least.  She has been my constant companion for nearly fifteen years and I will miss her dearly.  Mostly in the evenings when I am on the couch blogging, watching TV, staring at the wall listening to the silence because she is always up against my leg keeping me company.  She slept on my feet many a night.  When I do finally decide something or she dies on her own, she will for sure be very missed.  (But I won't miss the cat puke, litter box, and expensive bags of food haha.)  Why can't pets live longer than they do?

Back in her healthy days