Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ten Responses to Use when Faced with Cloth Diaper Criticism

As any cloth diapering mama knows, there is a lot of criticism about using cloth diapers out there.  Even if cloth diapering is becoming more and more mainstream, it is still sometimes viewed as a time suck, taking a step backwards, gross, not as good for the baby, or too much hassle.  It can get frustrating and even overwhelming to a new mother who has decided to use cloth when she is faced with tons of negative comments.  Especially since cloth diapering is a learning process anyway and you typically feel unsure of yourself to begin with.

So here are the top ten criticisms I have faced in regards to cloth diapering and ways they can be dealt with.
1)  That is disgusting.  I don't want to put poop in my washing machine.  My common answer to this one is a simple so anytime your baby has a blow out diaper are you going to throw those clothes away?  Because it seems to me like during the newborn explosive poo phase that practice could get expensive.

2)  That is so gross.  I don't want to handle that much poop.  Answer:  Well then maybe you shouldn't have kids.  Child rearing is gross on many days and levels.  Some days I get covered in a multitude of different bodily fluids.  You just have to roll with the punches (and hopefully wash your hands.)

3)  They are too expensive of an investment.  Cost savings in using cloth  I usually just point out stats like this.  I calculated that my diapers would start paying for themselves at the one year mark.  So anything after one year is saving money.  Anything with baby number two would be super extra money saving (you know if I could quite just having to have the newest and cutest designs.) You could also point out that enough prefolds and covers can be bought to cloth diaper a baby for less than a hundred bucks.

4)  The baby will have more rashes with cloth diapers.  This just isn't true at all.  If anything disposables make the baby more rash prone because they can't breathe as well as cloth diapers can.  The Real Diaper Association says there is no difference in diaper rash occurrence in cloth diapers or disposables.  (There is a great informative link on their site, see here.)

5)  It takes too much time to wash, stuff, etc.  cloth diapers.  I was getting this a lot so I kept up with the time it took me in a week to do everything cloth diaper related.  It was about an hour.  So yes, it does take slightly more time than using disposables would.  But not really when you consider that you have to go to the store to buy the disposable diapers.  I figure it all balances out in the end.

6)  It will raise the water bill too much.  Or an alternative is that it wastes too much water.  Again in my personal experience, yes my water bill did go up slightly.  But it is still far cheaper than spending 20 bucks a week in disposables.  Especially since my kid is the poopingest kid ever and still goes through 6-8 diapers a day even at 16 months.  Heck some days he has hit ten diapers.  And according to the Real Diaper Association, "The manufacture and use of disposable diapers amounts to 2.3 times more water wasted than cloth."  (See link here.)

7)  Disposables are just as safe and healthy for babies as cloth.  My answer is that there are known chemicals that cause cancer in lab animals that are used in the manufacture of cloth diapers.  Why chance it?  Some links I like that back that up are:  http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php
http://www.whyclothdiaper.com/2011/05/23/cloth-vs-disposables-health-benefits/
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/are-disposable-diapers-really-that-bad/

8)  My child potty trained early even in disposables.  Okay so yay for your child.  But the majority of children don't potty train until closer to three.  If I can speed that process up even by a little bit, I am thankful for that.  I hate changing diapers.  Kids in cloth diapers feel wet (especially if you are using organic fibers.)  This leads them to potty train slightly earlier than their disposable diapered counterparts.

9)  I never had leaks in my disposables.  Again maybe the person didn't.  But in my personal experience and in talking with many cloth diaper users, diaper blowouts are much less frequent or non existent in cloth diapers.  That was why I was so excited when Destructo's belly button had healed enough to start using cloth.  I was tired of having to change his clothes 8 times a day when his diaper leaked.  I nearly never (at least before my leg elastics wore out on my Bumgenius diapers) had poop leaks.  And only occasional pee leaks and usually only when he is napping on his stomach. 

10)  Disposable diapers are just as cute as cloth.  Okay so I have never actually heard this one.  But if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to call the person crazy.  Cloth diapers after all are adorable.  And isn't that why we all cloth diaper?  I mean I need matching diapers to my son's outfits!

I mean come on what is cuter than a sports diaper?

15 comments:

  1. We cloth diaper too and I have encountered several of these comments/questions along the way!! I totally agree with your answers and on the poop front...even if we put our daughter in a disposable...if she poops I'm still emptying that sucker into the toilet...it seems gross to put that in the trash but maybe thats because I'm used to everything coming out in the wash:)

    We have no regrets with our decision and our daughter is almost 2...and still using the original 24 diapers I purchased!!

    Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently switched to cloth, and I got a lot of questioning looks. I love this list! When I first ran into the potty training stat especially, and I think that helped convince my husband - our first 2 boys didn't train until well after 3, so if we can speed this kid up...we are so there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it will help get Destructo potty trained in the two age range, but I don't know. Currently he shows zero interest in the toilet. Well except as a personal splashing bucket.

      Delete
  3. Ah the cloth vs disposable debates. Had these same issues back when my adult sons were babies. I used cloth, washed them myself. Back then (this was in the 80's) very few Moms used cloth so I was a bit "odd". :-) If I had it to do over - it would be cloth all the way!!!

    Stand your ground and do what is best for you and your baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that is what I do. Plus even if I hated it (which is completely the opposite since I am slightly addicted to cloth diapering) I would still have persevered on since everyone told me I would quit. Good thing I am super stubborn! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. Hi there, I'm following from the Mom's Best Nest blog hop. I always used disposables but if given the opportunity I again I would like to go cloth, props to you.

    Stop by sometime at www.bigfoottribe.blogspot.com

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I am checking your blog right now.

      Delete
  5. I used cloth diapers mostly with my first and with my second. With my third I will totally admit I was lazy. If I was to have more tomorrow I would go back to cloth. Especially since they have improved so much since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was quite impressed with how much they had improved. She kind of thought I was crazy when I first mentioned it, but once I showed her what they have become thought it made a lot more sense.

      Delete
  6. I have only one response to people who criticize the way I bring up my kids: back off! It's my decision! Really!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this post, you have good counters. I think it boils down to lazy people though. I grew up with my Mother using cloth diapers, I got used to it with all my younger brothers, but my ex just didn't want to be bothered. I think it's just less expensive all around, and so much better to know you aren't throwing junk into the trash that won't do the world any good.

    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I think people hear that is it is a bit of extra work and are immediately turned off to it no matter if there are health benefits to it or not.

      Delete
  8. I was a cloth-diapered baby (prefolds), as were all but one of my siblings in the 80s and 90s. We are using cloth too, although not exclusively. The first time I put a fleece liner on Peanut's bum overnight, she woke up with a terrible rash and my pediatric nurse husband freaked out. Since then we have had a couple arguments about using cloth liners in general...he would prefer that we use an absorbent paper liner while I think she just needs to be eased into the cloth liners. Any time he changes her, he automatically puts a paper diaper on her. I'm letting it go for now because I don't know what to tell him, but it's to the point where I'm not even asking him to change her anymore because I don't want him to overreact if her bum is a little red. I really need some help with this....none of my friends use cloth diapers. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you using the liners? Some kids can be sensitive to fleece or even the paper liners. I would try just not using them. If you have a diaper sprayer, there really is no need. (And honestly, you don't have to spray the diapers until your baby is eating solids. It is all water soluble.) If it is a synthetic material sensitivity, you could try using a diaper with all organic fibers like the Grovias with the snap in cotton inserts?

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They really do make my day. I make every effort to reply to each and every comment.