Monday, July 29, 2013

Exhaustion

Tired, exhausted, sleep deprived, weary.  Whatever word you choose to use, most moms can probably agree that motherhood is tiring.  The art of guiding small and unknowing souls into becoming good, upstanding men and women can be downright exhausting some days.  Exhausting and mind numbing.
Source

But how do you combat this weariness?  Because if I really think about how tired I am it is almost overwhelming at times.  What are your tried and true tricks for the days that you just didn't get much sleep and have to keep on keeping on?

I have found that copious amounts of caffeine in the form of cherry coke helps.  I kid.  That isn't my wonderful words of wisdom.  Although I do speak the truth as a self proclaimed cherry coke addict.

Here are a few tips for the days when you can't keep your eyes open.  Like today.

1)  Go for a walk.  Being outside just seems to wake me up.  Even better if you are the exercising type, go exercise.  This is shown to increase energy levels.

2)  Work in your garden.  Days I just can't seem to stay awake and am hours from bedtime, I like to go work in my garden.  Destructo plays outside and I tend my veggies.

3)  Eat well.  I know I feel crappier and more run down on days I don't eat a lot of protein.

4)  Let the house work go on evenings you are really exhausted.  This one is hard for me because I hate waking up to a super messy kitchen, but some nights it is necessary.  I promise the dishes will still be there in the morning.  Those nights I just go to bed as soon after Destructo as I can.

5)  Open all the blinds in your house.  I always feel more energized when my house isn't dark and dreary.  Of course, then your AC bill is higher.  But I think energy is more important than saving a few bucks.  (At least for me.)

6)  Have a crazy dance party with your kiddo.  Works like a charm to give me more energy.

7)  Have a couch day with your kiddo.  We watch movies, read books, cuddle on days I really don't have the energy to chase him around.  Destructo could sit for hours letting me read to him.

8)  If you aren't working, take a nap when the kiddos nap.  I set my alarm for a thirty minute power nap on the weekends and this helps more than if I had slept the entire time he napped since I have trouble falling asleep at night if I sleep too much during the day.  Thank you insomnia.

9)  Even on days I can't nap, I close my eyes and sit down for five minutes.  I might not be sleeping but at least I am letting my body relax just a bit.

10)  Put on happy, up beat music.  Whatever you want.  I like Black Eyed Peas Tonight is Gonna be a Good Night (or whatever it is called.)

Linked up at:
Modest Monday
Mommy Moments
Titus 2sday
Top Ten Tuesday
Women Helping Women